    SubjectRe: atomicity
    Date
    > 	open target file for writing
    > while target file not fully written
    > write until error
    > delete one of the small files at random
    > close target file
    > delete all of the small random files that remain
    >
    > Are there any file systems around that will manage to resist fragmentation
    > if subjected to that?

    ext2fs will quite happily handle that situation (in fact its not an atypical
    pattern of I/O on a big multiuser box - consider someone doing a download
    as another user does an rm -r.

    ext2fs tries to grab linear chunks of disk and divides the disk into cylinder
    groups to also help to maintain locality. The BSD ffs papers [McKusik et al]
    describe this sort of stuff well.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.022 / U:94.528 seconds]