    SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
    Jes Sorensen wrote:
    > Oh and everybody should have a 2000 page translation table on paper?

    Well, actually, if I ever get my proposal completed, then
    the system events are stored as data without formatting strings
    at all. The console display program does the formatting.
    Your console display program will, presumably, contain the
    format strings of your favorite language. See? Simple. ;-)
    Panics, excepted, of course. I must keep saying that.

    > Drago> I think having messages appear in the sysadmin's native
    > Drago> language has merit. The front line for Linux support is moving
    > Drago> away from this list.
    > I really can't see the point here, all the commands on the system are
    > in english anyway, C is using English. If you don't understand the
    > basic English terms used by a computer, how can you adminitrate them.

    Or administer them. I think one of the goals is to have Linux
    ultimately be "everyman's" desktop os. Or, of being capable of
    being such. For it to ever be so, the system messages about the
    status of hardware and software need to be in native tongue so
    the user can talk intelligently to the administrator without
    requiring the services of a translator. I think, anyway.

    > Drago> Once messages permeate back to this list, they can be converted
    > Drago> back to English just as the original message was converted
    > Drago> originally to the native language.
    > Sorry but I am not going to waste my time trying to decode error
    > messages from my own code just because someone wants to print it in
    > a different language.

    No. But if a tarball of the syslog came back and your console display
    program could format it in English, would that be better?
    The encoded tarball would be far smaller than the text, anyway.

    Besides all that, the strings get removed from the kernel,
    making it smaller and more suited to embedded applications :)

    Bruce Korb | Data Design Systems, Inc.
    Korb at DataDesign dot com | 45 Cabot Dr., Suite 110
    Voice: 408-260-0280 | Santa Clara, CA 95051
    Fax: 408-260-0281 | USA

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.021 / U:9.728 seconds]