SubjectRe: Linux timekeeping plans
Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I must say (as an NTP user) that I don't understand: why don't you just
> allow xntpd to use the RTC as a local clock and let xntpd slave ths system
> clock with it ?

The RTC has a precision of 1 second, if memory serves, even though it can
generate interrupts more rapidly. In order for the system to derive more
precision, it must do what hwclock(8) does - watch carefully for the transition
of the seconds digit, and set the kernel's fractional-seconds portion of the
time to zero. This is inherently costly to do. If memory also serves, the RTC
is a slow device - reading it may take a microsecond or more more per byte.

--
Kristofer Karas * kXtXk@bigfoot.com (delete X's)
AMA/CCS DoD RF900RR HawkGT !car * Senior systems engineer/SysAdmin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.055 / U:0.352 seconds]