    SubjectRe: Dead Machine & 2.1.131
    On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Michael K Vance wrote:

    > And to keep following up on my own posts before I see any reponses
    > =), it was MOST certainly xfstt killing my machine. First it would
    > cause random X lockups after usage, then it would kill my machine
    > when xdm tried to startup my session. Removing the xfstt related
    > lines from .xsession/.xinitrc solved the problem totally.
    > It was still quite nasty... I'm disappointed that a user-space
    > program interacting closely with X was able to bring my machine
    > down.

    What exactly is xfstt and what is it doing to your machine?

    If we get this info out maybe it'll ring a bell with some folks
    who don't know X really well but do know the kernel.

    OTOH, if xfstt runs as root and directly accesses I/O ports,
    then there isn't much we can do... (a usermode device driver
    can generally be considered a Bad Thing, what about MatroxFB
    with XF86_fbcon?).

    Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE
    | Linux memory management tour guide. |
    | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.029 / U:11.244 seconds]