    SubjectRe: Dead Machine & 2.1.131
    In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981204162700.21578B-100000@mirkwood.dummy.home>,
    Rik
    van Riel writes:
    +-----
    | On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Michael K Vance wrote:
    | > And to keep following up on my own posts before I see any reponses
    | > =), it was MOST certainly xfstt killing my machine. First it would
    | > cause random X lockups after usage, then it would kill my machine
    | > when xdm tried to startup my session. Removing the xfstt related
    | > lines from .xsession/.xinitrc solved the problem totally.
    |
    | What exactly is xfstt and what is it doing to your machine?
    +--->8

    xfstt is an X font server for TrueType fonts. If it's feeding garbage and
    the X server isn't sanity checking fonts it receives from a font server,
    then it could conceivably result in an X server crash.

    | OTOH, if xfstt runs as root and directly accesses I/O ports,
    +--->8

    It shouldn't need to run as root, it shouldn't be touching I/O ports at all.

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.025 / U:30.028 seconds]