SubjectRe: Dead Machine & 2.1.131
In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981204162700.21578B-100000@mirkwood.dummy.home>,
Rik
van Riel writes:
+-----
| On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Michael K Vance wrote:
| > And to keep following up on my own posts before I see any reponses
| > =), it was MOST certainly xfstt killing my machine. First it would
| > cause random X lockups after usage, then it would kill my machine
| > when xdm tried to startup my session. Removing the xfstt related
| > lines from .xsession/.xinitrc solved the problem totally.
| What exactly is xfstt and what is it doing to your machine?
+--->8

xfstt is an X font server for TrueType fonts. If it's feeding garbage and
the X server isn't sanity checking fonts it receives from a font server,
then it could conceivably result in an X server crash.

| OTOH, if xfstt runs as root and directly accesses I/O ports,
+--->8

It shouldn't need to run as root, it shouldn't be touching I/O ports at all.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans