    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: linux kernel hackers discover new theory of relativity!
    On 3 Dec 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > > Babylon 5 is closer to the reality of physics - the spinning station
    > > creates artificial gravity, but only for people standing on the
    > > inside walls of the cylinder. Those who are near of rotation axis
    > > are in zero-gravity. This is not gravity guys, it's centrifugal
    > > force, the same that pushes you against your car's window when you
    > > take a sharp turn. --
    >
    > Actually, it *is* gravity. Read up on general relativity if you don't
    > believe me.

    No way Peter, you are wrong. It is _not_ gravity.

    You define gravity force as the force that follow the rule F=K*m1*m2/r^2.
    Enlighten me showing how centripetal forces follow that rule (mainly how
    you can accomodate the [m1*m2] term) !
    I don't remember general relativity enougth, but I'm sure that centripetal
    forces are _not_ comparable to gravity forces.
    Yes ... they can be used to simulate gravity forces, the same way you can
    use the acceleration of a car to simulate gravity force directed
    horizontally: acceleration ... this is the key ... gravity is a force that
    have a constant acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2 without motion between two
    bodies while centripetal forces need motion !

    Ciao,
    Riccardo.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:0.056 seconds]