    SubjectRe: disks stats through /proc
    Thanks, I have got both of them.
    I will have a detailed look at them this weekend.
    However, instead of doing it in /proc/stat I will try to move it into
    /proc/partitions - since we have /proc/partitions already (thanks to
    Andries!) we might as well enhance it to include partition-level stats.

    I will also study and play with Stephen Tweedie's sard stuff
    which Alan Cox mentioned yesterday.

    I think, as long as it does not harm performance, detailed performance
    indicators in /proc would benefit everybody.

    On Fri, 4 Dec 1998 wrote:

    > I had fixed up the scsi/ide/4drive limit a while ago, but it was never
    > included. It was around the IO-APIC introduction time (i.e. more
    > important things were 'broken') and there were rumblings of a code freeze.
    > Grab
    > Each one does the same thing, but does it differently (apply *only* one of
    > these, not both). 'array' hold a resizeable array for each device, and
    > 'direct' creates a large array up-front for performance reasons. I like
    > 'array' and Mark Lord likes 'direct'. It'll need a little fixing up to
    > get it going on 2.1.130, but it shouldn't be a big deal. It's also
    > trivial to do this on a partition level - it's just a matter of removing
    > the switch() statement which intentionally removes the per-partition parts
    > of a device #.
    > -kf
    > On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > > IMHO, this should be done on a fine-grained (partition level) rather than
    > > coarse (drive) level. There is enough information in
    > > ll_rw_blk.c/add_request() to do it now but, of course, kernel_stat
    > > structure will have to be seriously modified.
    > >
    > > There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux
    > > development. I.e. the quality is too high and the speed is too high, in
    > > other words, I can implement this disk stat feature, but I bet someone else
    > > has already done it and is just about to release his patch to Linus soon...
    > heh

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.022 / U:0.916 seconds]