    SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux

    Drago> On 03 Dec 1998 16:25:16 +0100, Jes Sorensen writes:
    >> Oh and how to you expect kernel hackers to be able to help debug a
    >> problem when someone posts dmesg output in Chinese to linux-kernel?

    Drago> So is that why the old IBM mainframes tagged every system
    Drago> message with a unique identifier?

    Oh and everybody should have a 2000 page translation table on paper?

    >> We've had this discussion before, about a year ago I think, forget
    >> it once and for all, please.

    Drago> I think having messages appear in the sysadmin's native
    Drago> language has merit. The front line for Linux support is moving
    Drago> away from this list.

    I really can't see the point here, all the commands on the system are
    in english anyway, C is using English. If you don't understand the
    basic English terms used by a computer, how can you adminitrate them.

    Drago> Once messages permeate back to this list, they can be converted
    Drago> back to English just as the original message was converted
    Drago> originally to the native language.

    Sorry but I am not going to waste my time trying to decode error
    messages from my own code just because someone wants to print it in
    a different language.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.021 / U:94.564 seconds]