    SubjectRe: small addition to keyboard driver propose with patch
    "Stanislav V. Voronyi" wrote:

    > In message <368A5066.4557CA9B@cs.net.pl> dalecki writes:
    >
    > >Yes that's what I'm doing. I preffer to work under X11 if there is need
    >
    > If you can work only under X its good, but I work as sysadmin
    > in ISP, and almost all machines which I have its a diferent kind of
    > servers, and almost on all of this machines X even not instaled.

    There UNICODE doesn't matter for console.

    > >for
    > >fluffy features. However one can't disable the unicode desease in the
    > >current kernel!
    >
    > Unicode is not desease. In Poland you have only 3 or four letters
    > diferent from ASCII. And diferences between english l and polish is minimal,

    This is just plain wrong (by a magnitude):

    ±¡êʳ£ñѼ¬¿¯óÓ¶¦æÆ (ISO8859-2)

    And by the way Polish has more similiarities with Ukrainian then english
    obviously. Even more then with Russian :-). Razgawaritje po ruski?
    (Ehm. I know there are hardly Ukrainians talking ukrajiñski jêzyk.)

    > but I live in Ukraine & need 37 cyrrilic letters absolutely different from

    Before Stalin told them different the Ukrainians used the same scripting
    system
    as in Poland.

    > any latin. And as for me Unicode is very useful. Even on textual console.

    For You ISP job?! BTW. the implementation I'm suggesting isn't going to
    make Your work
    any more difficult. It's the CLIENT side wich is of relevance.

    > And if this Unicode stuff annoyed for you it can be implemented
    > as a configurable option.

    Not easy. and it isn't currently this way...

    > >Read twice. With the design propsal properly implementid. (This still
    > >needs to be done.)
    > >You should be able to emulate anything you where talking about entierly
    > >in
    > >user space without polluting the console implementation in kernel.
    >
    > I prefer in-kernel console driver that look like virtual terminal.
    > Yes, we can leave in kernel minimum (vt52) function for single screen console
    > and all other do in user space. But this "user space" program even for user
    > nobody must be running with superuser level. Imho 10kb of code in kernel
    > is murch better that potential 10k security holes in "user space multiconsole
    > implementation" that must be worked with uid 0 even for user nobody.

    Yes it's easier to mess around in the kernel, then to write proper user
    level
    applications, since you don't need to know what even consoles and
    virtual terminals are
    really about. And you don't need to know all the other stuff about the
    OS too.
    (Please just prove me wrong by providing the corresponding apps.) But
    this doesn't
    imply that complicated stuff (I just don't beleve it can be done in
    10k.
    Even the simplest proper unicode mapping will requie at least 64k.)
    shouldn't be done in user land. There You cand read files with different
    glyphs.
    You don't need to worry about size, compatibility, and more of nice
    gooddies
    like this... ;-).

    And please show me where are all those unicode aware console
    applications you need
    that badly to support? Unicode editor for example? I could actually use
    one myself
    and I would be already just plain happy if the border drawing characters
    worked
    properly anywhere.

    Please just do man screen(1).

    Marcin Dalecki / free programmer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:2.357 / U:0.256 seconds]