SubjectRe: small addition to keyboard driver propose with patch
Hello:

If we are talking about proper design. Please let me throw a few bits
into this discussion.

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Stanislav V. Voronyi wrote:
>
> > Another way - add to console driver unsigned short
> > unicode2codeset[3][65535] table.
>
> (I have 2.0.36 now and I'm not sure if this is the same with pre-2.2.0.)
>
> It could look exactly as uni_pagedir, only mapping to a different charset,
> so it wouldn't take much space. Probably four such tables, like current
> inverse_translations, if I correctly guess which charset do applications
> expect as input - I think it should be the one selected with ^[( and
> set_translate(), mostly ISO-8859-1 or user defined.

In my personal opinnion this whole unicode /gpm / blah / bloat stuff in
the current kernel is just plain... ehm. forgive me please: plain sick.

A VT100 console should do ASCII and maybe some additional frame
characters or
maybe even colors too. Point.

If You wont more, then go the following road:

1. Port xterm to use the framebuffer device and direct mouse handling.
Yes it all can be done poperly in user space!
(Another starting point could be the screen package too.)

2. Add wonderfull whatever translations / munglings drawings you like.

You don't need to care about since, since this all happens in user
space
anyway.

3. Go further and reimplement the support for multiple consoles this
way.

4. Remove all the fluffy rarely used stuff from the kernel. (gpm console
switch).
You gotta have it now in user space.

5. Never look back ...

Marcin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.068 / U:0.176 seconds]