SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Jeff Epler wrote:

> So, I am not allowed to distribute my program with a license which changes
> the first two lines to say "Jeff's Public License\\ Version 2, December
> 1998" and strikes the paragraph about using other version numbers.
>
> In other words, the GPL is not itself covered by the GPL. (And, if it were,
> which version would it be covered by?:)

There is no need to. In many countries, I assume all, legal texts are
deamed purely functional - i.e. they can not be copyrighted. If you have a
contract you are free to reuse the text in it for another purpose. The
name "gpl" may be protected so you can't call your modified license GPL.
Then again, it would not be the GPL so why call it that?

Peter
--
Peter Svensson ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu> ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3 07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF