SubjectRe: Is it legal for me to do that?
Hi,

Major'Trips' wrote:

> Speaking of LILO. This might be fairly old news ... But I boot
> Via a SCSI drive and added a spare IDE drive to the system recently.
> Now I find I have to unmount all the ide mount points &&
> "alias ide-disk off" in the /etc/conf.modules && modprobe -r ide-disk
> then run lilo else Lilo complains about the SCSI Not beeing the first
> device in the boot order. Now .. unfortunately I understand this is how
> life used to be .. but I also know that I have never cared nor has
> the kernel ever cared that I don't select the IDE Device geometries
> in the BIOS and allow the SCSI to boot the system and then let Linux
> find the IDE devices. Anyone know a simple way around this problem?

I don't think anyone replied to this, so I'll tell you what I've done
when I had the exact same problem a month ago. After a bit of playing,
and reading the LILO docs, I find the following lilo.conf works for me
for the boot sector of the SCSI drive. I can now boot off either drive
by selecting in the BIOS appropriately.

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
disk=/dev/sda
bios=0x80

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36
label=linux
root=/dev/sda1
read-only

The important line is the bios override under the "disk" setting.

If I understand your question correctly I think this solves your
problem.

Neil.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.051 / U:3.000 seconds]