SubjectRe: small addition to keyboard driver propose with patch
In message <368A33D9.EE8CF20F@cs.net.pl> dalecki writes:

>Hello:

>If we are talking about proper design. Please let me throw a few bits
>into this discussion.

>Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Stanislav V. Voronyi wrote:
>>
>> > Another way - add to console driver unsigned short
>> > unicode2codeset[3][65535] table.
>>
>> (I have 2.0.36 now and I'm not sure if this is the same with pre-2.2.0.)
>>
>> It could look exactly as uni_pagedir, only mapping to a different charset,
>> so it wouldn't take much space. Probably four such tables, like current
>> inverse_translations, if I correctly guess which charset do applications
>> expect as input - I think it should be the one selected with ^[( and
>> set_translate(), mostly ISO-8859-1 or user defined.

>In my personal opinnion this whole unicode /gpm / blah / bloat stuff in
>the current kernel is just plain... ehm. forgive me please: plain sick.

>A VT100 console should do ASCII and maybe some additional frame
>characters or
>maybe even colors too. Point.

>If You wont more, then go the following road:
[road to X skiped]

Why do you mean that all people must use X ? I run X once
or two times per mounth only when my lynx absolutely can not to
show me page what I need. All other time I work with text mode
console and if I work not on stupid vt100 but on (S)VGA console
I want more, than stupid alphanumeric terminal can do. If you want not
selection, multiscreen an so on - you can disable it when you do
make config for your kernel and use console on serial port with
your favorite vt100 (or vt52 if you like it ;-).

SY, Stanislav Voronyi.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.065 / U:0.032 seconds]