SubjectRe: get_vm_area needs spin lock
Date
In article <368A548D.23BBF8DE@gcom.com>, David Grothe  <dave@gcom.com> wrote:

>As a result of some correspondence concerning the routine get_vm_area, I
>have been taking a close look at that routine. It seems to me that in
>an SMP environment this routine needs spin lock protection around the
>loop that runs down the linked list of areas. If two or more CPUs are
>executing this routine simultaneously the list could get tangled.

This should never be the case: vmalloc() should not be called without
holding the kernel lock.

Whether that is actually the case right now is not something I have
verified, but I would be surprised if it isn't. As such, 2.1.x is in the
same position as 2.0.x in this regard.

Has there actually been problems that caused you to look at this?

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.059 / U:0.080 seconds]