    SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

    In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981229194500.1606B-100000@feuer.his.com>, David Feuer
    writes:

    > This message is _recommended_ by the FSF. If you want version 2, say
    > version 2. If you want version 1, say version 1 (highly unlikely). If
    > you want the user to take his pick, say "or any later version".

    ...and that's cool. I'm not sure why I was thinking the other way.
    But yeah, I realize I can issue whatever license I want.

    I still say that if you DO put in that paragraph, it can't be right.
    It's licensing software by terms that don't yet exist.

    I've talked to a lawyer about this over a similar issue regarding a
    company guidbook the employees had to sign. In the contract it said
    you agreed to the rules in the handbook, plus any future versions.

    According to a lawyer contacted, the bottom line was that you
    cannot sign, license, or contract on unknown terms... meaning you
    cannot legally agree to terms that are not known at the time or
    to changes in those terms. Each new guidebook would have to be
    individually signed.

    I'm wondering if a license wouldn't be about the same. If v3
    comes out I don't think it would hope up in court if an author
    didn't like the v3 license and decided to back out. For example,
    in another thread people were talking about the FSF going rotten
    and releasing a nasty v3.

    In any case, I still say it will be interesting to see this go to
    court because I think the court will put new twists on things we
    won't think of.

    I had jury duty two months ago and sat in on a few cases, some
    involving things like this, and I was simply amazed at how some
    things went. Lawyers are wierd...

    --
    Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - InfiNet?