SubjectRe: Linux & SyJet ???
Hi Grant.

>>> What does the current viability of the manufacturer have to do
>>> with Linux support? Hell, MCA support was added in this last year
>>> long after the PS/2 was withdrawn from the market. Granted as the
>>> supplies of removable cartridges dwindle down, then fewer and
>>> fewer people will use it.

>> Well, you have to be able to get the docs from the manufacturer or
>> what is left of it. IBM didn't die, so there were still someone to
>> ask for docs.

> To bring the focus back to the original question, however, the
> component in question (the EPST parallel port SCSI adapter) is made
> by Shuttle Technologies. They are still in business, and I do have
> (but not for circulation) the technical specs for the EPST.
> SyQuest's demise is irrelevant ;-)

It still brings questions to mind though, so perhaps I had better
clarify my situation somewhat, then we can all get down to some
serious discussion rather than nit-picking as seems to have been going
on...

Please note that I have NOT yet bought the drive. I wanted to check
that I could use it under Linux first.

The basic situation is that there are THREE candidates available in
the local shops, as follows:

A. SyQuest SyJet drive, capacity 1.5G, price £149.00.

B. SyQuest SparQ drive, capacity 1.0G, price £199.00.

C. IOmega JazDrive, capacity 1.0G, price £379.00.

As can be clearly seen, the two SyQuest drives are considerably
cheaper than the IOmega product, and the last is currently well beyond
my price range. However, I'm rather wary re buying a product from a
defunct company...

1. If I buy a faulty drive, who do I complain to if SyQuest
has definately folded?

2. Is anybody still making cartridges for it?

3. Other than the above, are there any others that I could
consider?

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.052 / U:0.396 seconds]