SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.131..
Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > 2.1.131 is out there now

Whee! and have fun in Finland.

> There are a few things in the VM balancing of 2.1.131 that
> I strongly disagree with and that will make performance
> far worse than it could have been.

<Patchlets SNIP!ed>

I tried these out on my current machine, and after extensive, scientific
tests (10 minutes and seeing how my X desktop performed :), I would say
that there is a definate performance gain to a desktop user, especially
during swap events.

I don't know what other implications Rik's patchlets may have, but my
P200 seems zippier with interactive applications, compared with stock
2.1.131 (which I have had at least, oh, HOURS of performance testing).
I'll report any problems I end up with to Mr. van Riel.

+ John Fulmer | "UNIX was not designed to stop +
+ Secure Network Group | you from doing stupid things, +
+ Lawrence, Kansas | because that would also stop you +
+ | from doing clever things." +
+ | +
+ "The opinions contained above may not reflect those of SNG" +

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.082 / U:44.764 seconds]