    SubjectRe: Linux timekeeping plans
    Date
    > Slaving the clock does require some care, but because the interrupt
    > latency situation inside a single box is not nearly as messy as
    > internet delays that NTP deals with, the algorithms aren't as

    I must say (as an NTP user) that I don't understand: why don't you just
    allow xntpd to use the RTC as a local clock and let xntpd slave ths system
    clock with it ?

    > The one thing that I'm still stuck on is SMP issues. While it appears
    > that the TSC counters are kept synchronized by current SMP PC hardware,
    > this is not guaranteed,

    I seem to remember messages on this list a few weeks back stating fairly
    clearly that several parts of Linux already rely critically on all TSC being
    synchonized (and thus Linux ensuring that it is the case).

    Stefan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.023 / U:0.132 seconds]