    SubjectRe: Linux timekeeping plans
    > Slaving the clock does require some care, but because the interrupt
    > latency situation inside a single box is not nearly as messy as
    > internet delays that NTP deals with, the algorithms aren't as

    I must say (as an NTP user) that I don't understand: why don't you just
    allow xntpd to use the RTC as a local clock and let xntpd slave ths system
    clock with it ?

    > The one thing that I'm still stuck on is SMP issues. While it appears
    > that the TSC counters are kept synchronized by current SMP PC hardware,
    > this is not guaranteed,

    I seem to remember messages on this list a few weeks back stating fairly
    clearly that several parts of Linux already rely critically on all TSC being
    synchonized (and thus Linux ensuring that it is the case).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.034 / U:13.036 seconds]