    Subject[OFFTOPIC] Re: linux kernel hackers discover new theory of relativity!

    > I blame it on all those space cadet shows that have their space craft
    > spinning sections of their bodies supposedly to create artificial gravity.
    > I've always wondered though, if the spinning resulted in artificial gravity
    > (I assume because of the direction of the floor in relation to those inside)
    > then what about when this spinning object is travelling in a direction
    > different from the spin direction.

    Babylon 5 is closer to the reality of physics - the spinning station creates artificial gravity, but only for people standing on the inside walls of the cylinder. Those who are near of rotation axis are in zero-gravity. This is not gravity guys, it's centrifugal force, the same that pushes you against your car's window when you take a sharp turn.

    Christophe Dupre
    Analyste de systemes,
    RISQ inc.
    550 Sherbrooke ouest, suite 250-ouest Tel: (514) 845-7181, ext 237
    Montreal, QC CANADA FAX: (514) 845-8083

    "Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
    l'etre" - Fernando Savater

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.029 / U:145.884 seconds]