Subject[OFFTOPIC] Re: linux kernel hackers discover new theory of relativity!

> I blame it on all those space cadet shows that have their space craft
> spinning sections of their bodies supposedly to create artificial gravity.
> I've always wondered though, if the spinning resulted in artificial gravity
> (I assume because of the direction of the floor in relation to those inside)
> then what about when this spinning object is travelling in a direction
> different from the spin direction.

Babylon 5 is closer to the reality of physics - the spinning station creates artificial gravity, but only for people standing on the inside walls of the cylinder. Those who are near of rotation axis are in zero-gravity. This is not gravity guys, it's centrifugal force, the same that pushes you against your car's window when you take a sharp turn.

Christophe Dupre
Analyste de systemes,
RISQ inc.
550 Sherbrooke ouest, suite 250-ouest Tel: (514) 845-7181, ext 237
Montreal, QC CANADA FAX: (514) 845-8083

"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater