Subjectftape_timestamp and do_gettimeofday?

Hi all. Browsing the source I came across what
I hope is a helpful question: is there any reason
now why ftape_timestamp() reads the 8254 directly
instead of calling do_gettimeofday()?

It seems to be used only to compute time differences
in microsec and for stamping debugging traces, so I
can't see where there would be any ill effects.

Doing the latter could simplify the routines in
ftape-calibr.c, put paid to the possible jiffy-
crossing bugs, and take advantage of the careful
coding and bugfixes in arch/i386/kernel/time.c,
so it looks like a win all around to me.

Apologies for not submitting a patch suggestion, but
without a floppy tape myself, I have no way to test it.

--
Robert