SubjectRe: disks stats through /proc
IMHO, this should be done on a fine-grained (partition level) rather than
coarse (drive) level. There is enough information in
ll_rw_blk.c/add_request() to do it now but, of course, kernel_stat
structure will have to be seriously modified.

There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux
development. I.e. the quality is too high and the speed is too high, in
other words, I can implement this disk stat feature, but I bet someone else
has already done it and is just about to release his patch to Linus soon...

Regards,
Tigran

PS. Btw, whoever is responsible for add_request() the if (disk_index < 4)
should really be if (disk_index < DK_NDRIVE) in there.

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, URCAM Aquitaine wrote:

> I do not subscribe: please CC me at jfontain@multimania.com
>
> I am trying to write a disks statistics / information module for moodss
> (at http://www.multimania.com/jfontain/).
>
> I am having trouble gathering disks statistics: the only place I have
> found so far is the /proc/stat file which, according to my understanding
> will show data for up to 4 SCSI devices in priority, then up to 4 IDE
> devices, and will never show statistics for more than 4 devices of any
> type.
>
> What I would need is separate data (statistics, type, model, vendor,
> ...) for hda, hdb, ..., sda, sdb, ... devices, for example.
>
> Is there a plan to improve the /proc filesystem in such a way, or am I
> missing something (there might be another way to get at what I want)?
>
> Any information from the experts in this field would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Jean-Luc Fontaine
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.081 / U:0.760 seconds]