SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981229030438.510D-100000@red.prv>, "Mike A. Harris" w
rites:

> On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Zack Brown wrote:
>
> >If Richard Stallman gets mad at the linux community for not using the term
> >gnu/linux and decides to release a new version of the GPL that undoes its
> >current meaning (and e.g. allows proprietary forking etc), thus affecting
> >all programs currently licenced under the GPL, what could anyone do about
> >that? And please don't say, "oh, he would *never* do something like that."
> >
> >Shake in your boots.
> >
> > This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> > it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> > the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
> > (at your option) any later version.
> >
> > -- /usr/src/linux/COPYING, line 308-311
>
> AFAIR that statement is recommended to append to your program's
> source and/or display. If you say "This program is GPL version 2
> period" I believe it is then GPL 2 period, regardless of wether a
> 3 comes out. Richard, do you care to clarify this?

I don't even see how this can be legal. As far as I know no contract
or license can make you agree to something that has not yet been
written.

Imagine signing your insurance papers and where it normally says
``By signing here you agree to the terms of this contract'' it also
went on to say ``and anything else we add to it in the future.''

If I put my software under GPL 2, I think it should be MY decision
wether or not it goes to GPL 3. The paragraph above is saying that
I agree to license my software by the terms of GPL 2, and any terms
they decide to add later.

This should be interesting if it ever goes to court.

> Also, keep in mind that probably 90% (total random guess) of all
> software out there that claims it is GPL, does not follow the
> guidelines of the GPL properly, and display the proper messages,
> etc.

Well, the reason for this might be because it is annoying for a
program to do that. It should only do so if you ask for help and
the version, and then do so briefly. It's almost as annoying as
any kind of art or writing with trademark and copyright notices.

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - www.widomaker.com - Linux 2.0.x