SubjectRe: Cheap network for two hosts ?
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:
> "Anthony Barbachan" <> said:
> > H. Peter Anvin <> said:
> > >For two hosts, you can use 10Base-T or 100Base-TX cards without a hub
> > >using a crossover cable, as well. It's a lot less messy than coax,
> > >and support for coax is going the way of the dodo. Of course, coax
> > >won't do 100 Mbit/s at all.
> > Problem with the crossover cable is that it only works for two machines.
> > While coax may not be the latest and greatest it definately works
> > perfectly well for many if not most people, providing you do not have a
> > large number of machines on the network.
> But it's a mess. You have to be very careful with conectors, terminators,
> Ts; and make sure nobody trips over the network. It's cheap, but a 8-way
> hub isn't _that_ expensive... and you'll save that much on <insert favorite
> headache pill here> in short time.

Right. No more coax! Unless a shortening of your life is meaningful to you...

The same is true for el-cheapo RJ-45 connectors. My hit rate for UTP shrinking
using 0.95 EUR connectors is about 99%, compared to 75% (_after_ twiddling with
tiny screwdrivers and cabletesters to avoid loosing too many connectors, else
I'd say <5%) for the 0.20 EUR ones.

Geert Uytterhoeven
Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP}