    SubjectRe: Cheap network for two hosts ?
    On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:
    > "Anthony Barbachan" <barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com> said:
    > > H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> said:
    > > >For two hosts, you can use 10Base-T or 100Base-TX cards without a hub
    > > >using a crossover cable, as well. It's a lot less messy than coax,
    > > >and support for coax is going the way of the dodo. Of course, coax
    > > >won't do 100 Mbit/s at all.
    >
    > > Problem with the crossover cable is that it only works for two machines.
    > > While coax may not be the latest and greatest it definately works
    > > perfectly well for many if not most people, providing you do not have a
    > > large number of machines on the network.
    >
    > But it's a mess. You have to be very careful with conectors, terminators,
    > Ts; and make sure nobody trips over the network. It's cheap, but a 8-way
    > hub isn't _that_ expensive... and you'll save that much on <insert favorite
    > headache pill here> in short time.

    Right. No more coax! Unless a shortening of your life is meaningful to you...

    The same is true for el-cheapo RJ-45 connectors. My hit rate for UTP shrinking
    using 0.95 EUR connectors is about 99%, compared to 75% (_after_ twiddling with
    tiny screwdrivers and cabletesters to avoid loosing too many connectors, else
    I'd say <5%) for the 0.20 EUR ones.

    Greetings,

    Geert

    --