SubjectRe: Large-File support of 32-bit Linux v0.01 available!
Eric W. Biederman replied to my challenge on large file offsets on
Linux kernel:
..
> I started on it a while ago but I've be extremly short on free time.
>
> The following is a patch you will need if you intend to make everything page
> aligned in the page cache. It removes the need for old that old a.out binaries
> have for unaligned mappings, leaving only the page alinged QMAGIC
> a.out binaries still in a position to do code sharing. The rest
> continue to work and just print anoying warnings. (Reminding me it's
> time I upgrade some of my old slackware 2.2 software...)

Ok, I added those in.

> I have some other logic mostly complete that keeps offset parameter in
> the vm_area struct at 32 bits, and hopefully a greater chunck of the
> page cache.

You mean 'vm_offset' field ?
There are 37 files with (sub)string 'vm_offset' in them.
Changeing its type from current loff_t to pgoff_t would
help finding its instances, I guess. (And thus ease locating
places using it for page (non-)aligned things.)

That part about "a greater chunk" I don't understand, though.

> If I have the time I'll finish merging that with your start on the
> system calls.
>
> Eric

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.037 / U:0.060 seconds]