SubjectRe: /dev/one - why not /dev/repeat?
Dave Cinege <dcinege@psychosis.com> said:
> Michael Shields wrote:

[...]

> > That's legitimate, if you have an application that really would be
> > substantially faster with a /dev/random. What is this app, and can
> > you show benchmarks?

> If it was limited to a *specific* application, it would not warrent being
> placed it the kernel.

As I said before, there is _nothing_ in /dev/random that the application
itself can't do, so this is at the very least a waste of a system call. Not
exactly efficient.

> One use would be for low level file (device) acesss as mentioned in the
> 'wipe' thread. Compounding two pipes, to strip 4,000,000,000 line feeds,
> from using the 'yes' | 'tr' is slow and sloppy. It also assumes both
> commands are actually available.

They are available on every Unixy system I know. If not, you can cobble
something up using the shell (a while loop + echo). Or you do have some
compiler at hand, so you can write a C (or whatever) proggie, using
random(3) as needed.
--
Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616