    SubjectRe: /dev/one - why not /dev/repeat?
    Dave Cinege <> said:
    > Michael Shields wrote:

    > > That's legitimate, if you have an application that really would be
    > > substantially faster with a /dev/random. What is this app, and can
    > > you show benchmarks?

    > If it was limited to a *specific* application, it would not warrent being
    > placed it the kernel.

    As I said before, there is _nothing_ in /dev/random that the application
    itself can't do, so this is at the very least a waste of a system call. Not
    exactly efficient.

    > One use would be for low level file (device) acesss as mentioned in the
    > 'wipe' thread. Compounding two pipes, to strip 4,000,000,000 line feeds,
    > from using the 'yes' | 'tr' is slow and sloppy. It also assumes both
    > commands are actually available.

    They are available on every Unixy system I know. If not, you can cobble
    something up using the shell (a while loop + echo). Or you do have some
    compiler at hand, so you can write a C (or whatever) proggie, using
    random(3) as needed.
    Horst von Brand
    Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.043 / U:1.652 seconds]