SubjectRe: Cheap network for two hosts ?
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

>I want to exchange a lot of data between two x86-PCs.
>The only options I see are : parallel port , serial port and USB.
>
>serial would work , but it is too slow.

Then serial isn't much of an option.

>parallel might be better , but what is the state of support in
>the linux kernel ? Is EPP supported ? ECP ?
>Does PLIP work with ECP/EPP ?
>Does any other file-transfer program work over ECP/EPP ?

AFAIR, PLIP only does standard parallel port mode. It uses 4
bits for each direction. The reason is mainly to be compatible
with the commodity LAPLINK parallel cable more than anything I
believe. I doubt that PLIP has been modified to support 8 bit
transfers with a new custom cable yet. I also doubt ECP/EPP
support has been added either.

Expect approx 40kbps via parallel port with lots of kernel
transmit timeout messages printed on your console (harmless but
annoying).

Also if you have an S3 card, expect random hangs of your machine
if you run X. I'll leave it as an educational exercize to
determine why... ;o)

IMHO, the only way for you to go is to grab a couple cheapo
NE2000 network cards and some coax and a few terminators. I get
750kbps or so out of mine. Works great.

>USB : Is it supported yet ?
>Can I set up a point-to-point TCP/IP connection over it ?
>( LapLink support connecting two PCs over USB under windows,
>they sell a special cable for that , not avaliable anywhere
>else , at least their webpage says so )

Can't say...

Good luck. Ethernet is the way!

--
Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net