    SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
    In message <9812241858.AA08392@pachyderm.pa.dec.com>, Jim Gettys writes:
    +-----
    | > From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
    | >
    | > The system version most of us are using is the combination of Linux
    | > and the GNU system. "GNU/Linux" is a good way to describe that
    | > combination, and when I write that, it always means the whole
    | > combination. The kernel is simply Linux.
    |
    | One might as well also say that the whole system should be called
    | "GNU/X/Linux"; the X Window system contribution, in terms of number of
    | lines of code of software, is very large. People should remember that
    +--->8

    And many of Linux's user-space networking utilities (and some significant
    chunks of the kernel --- not to mention at least one SCSI driver and
    probably other drivers) come from our colleagues in BSD development. And
    then there's the Samba folks, etc. If we must name the system to
    acknowledge all the contributing projects, we're going to end up with a
    decidedly Entish name. :-)

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:2.709 / U:0.848 seconds]