SubjectRe: Cheap network for two hosts ?
On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 08:34:20AM +0000, Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi David.

> >> I don't know what you call "Slightly more expensive", but I bought a
> >> box containing a dozen old NE2000 clone cards for a fiver. So far,
> >> I've used five of them, and sold a further four for £3 each, and by my
> >> arithmetic, I don't think I could have done any better...
>
> > I'd like to network 3 computers. Problem: one is a laptop. Any idea
> > where I can get an ethernet card (preferably 10-base-T for a laptop for
> > a reasonable price?
>
> I just bought one new from one of the local computer shops, that does
> both 10base2 and 10baseT for the amazingly expensive prive of £42.50,
> and even on student income, I can afford that...
>
> In fact, I'm using it to install RedHat 5.2 on the laptop in question
> as we speak...

I also have to recommend the ethernet card route. Here in Raleigh, NC
(USA), you can get a basic 10BT network card for about US$18 at Stay
Online (www.stayonline.com, I don't know if they'll mailorder them or
not). With a crossover cable, you don't even need a hub. 10Mb/s is
about all you need for most home applications. For maybe US$50 you've
got a network. At those prices, *everyone* should have a network! ;)

Rob

--
Rob Napier <rnapier@cisco.com> -- Build Integration Group