SubjectRe: IDE/SCSI emulation kills machine when using CD-Rom
As another datapoint, I just got a new comuter. Installed RedHat on in,
recomiled the (stable) kernel, and everything worked fine.
Then I grabbed 2.1.131 from my old machine, and compiled.
The machine froze _hard_ when mounting the CD-ROm on hdc. When it
automounted on boot (from /etc/fstab), it gave some message about
disabling DMA, but I still had to resort the the reset button (Sysreq
didn't work, neither did Alt-Ctrl-Del).

Experimenting with hdaprm showed that DMA was only enabled on hda (my
hard drive), not hdc (the cdrom) in 2.0.x, but both in 2.1.x.
My solution was smiliar, ie disable the auto DMA option and use hdparm
-d1 /dev/hda in rc.local to enable DMA. (As an aside, the (untested)
ide0=dma option isn't in Documentation/ide.txt, as that was the first
place I looked).

As an aside, does plip work on parralel ports without IRQs? My old
computer doesn't have an option for a parport IRQ in the bios, so plip
fails. I'm using Direct Cable Connection in Win95 combined with the ext2
mount progam for Win95 to transfer files between computers, as I don't
want to have to unlug and move dives around, but this is messy. (It also
loses permissions, unless I boot linux, tar up the individual files, and
transfer them that way, every time I find another file/rpm too big to
fit onto a floppy)

Bradley

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:1.052 seconds]