SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

> On a philosophical level, Mr. Stallman articulated seminal ideas
> that have guided the development of a simply amazing quality and
> quantity of software.
>
> He deserves respect.

That's what I give him. In fact, if it would not be written in
dutch, I could include here the e-mail that I sent to a local
computer weekly after they printed a negative article about him.
In it I point out how they failed to do their research, that
if they had done it properly they would not have printed their
negative claims about his motivations, and that I therefore
strongly suggest that they print an apology and a correction
in a later edition.

But all that does not make him a faultless god. With respect to
the GNU/Linux thing he is wrong for no other reason that it is
not up to people to rename somebody elses product/brainchild.
Besides, his reasoning for it does not hold. (And yes, I build
my entire system from source myself, so I *do* know how much of
it is GNU.)

Yes, I respect him. And still I think that on this topic his
motivations are personally biased because events overtook him
so that The Hurd no longer has a chance to not make it big time,
independent of its technical merits. And maybe also because
others get "more" credit/visibility for the free/open source
ideas. But that is a price that one must be willing to pay when
one decides to steer a course that is seen by the "normal world"
as confrontational. I applaud the (very) few people who are
willing to do this kind of thing, but consider that they must
accept the consequences. All of them.

Finally, let me at this point explicitly join the crowd that
wants this thread moved out of linux-kernel.

MCE