    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
    Date
    In message <199812221034.SAA05843@typhaon.ucs.uwa.edu.au>, David Luyer writes:
    cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

    [snip]

    > But how about GNU and Linus? Well, Linus named the OS kernel Linux,
    > quite rightly since it was his kernel. GNU, who contributed more code
    > towards the environment which made Linux possible than anyone else - well,
    > they get mostly ignored by users, and their ideology is forgotten. How
    > important is this? Well that's what the recurring flame war is about.
    > There are those who look shallowly, and say that GNU has nothing to do with
    > Linux - they didn't write Netscape, X11 or the Kernel. Hey, gcc, gdb, make,
    > emacs, bash, etc... who needs them? :-) (only a very small portion of the
    > GNU applications most Linux applications depend on of course). Even the
    > Linux libc has always been based on GNU code. So RMS would prefer if, at
    > the distribution level, people put the name 'GNU' in there to remind
    > themselves that a significant portion of the code they are using comes from
    > GNU.

    Evidently you have not noticed the name GNU appears frequently while using
    Linux. I strongly disagree that the FSF/GNU is ignored. Stallmans
    insistence on renaming Linux GNU Linux is patently nothing more than an
    ego trip on his part. While I have appreciated the *results* of the FSF
    efforts, I utterly *reject* their "ideology". I really do wish Stallman
    would shut up about an ideology the people of the world have rejected and
    has been proven to be a total failure.

    > (In fact, a great deal more than comes from Linux.) Not unreasonable.
    > (irrespective of what you think of RMS's ideologies and political views, it
    > is not unreasonable to refer to distributions as GNU/Linux when such a large
    > portion of the Linux project has been vitally dependent on the results of the
    > GNU project.)

    What you don't say here is the simple fact that it is *stupid* to recode
    what the FSF had already done. Linux is *not* dependent upon GNU/FSF.
    What dependencies there are are there by convenience not by necessity.

    [snip]

    Bob

    | Bob Taylor Email: brtaylor@inreach.com |
    | Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a |
    | swimsuit. At 600 dpi you can tell it's wet. At 1200 dpi you |
    | can tell it's painted on. I suppose at 2400 dpi you can tell |
    | if the paint is giving her a rash. (So says Joshua R. Poulson)|