SubjectRe: forceful unmount
    From: Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de>

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 08:04:20PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Why does LInux not support forceful unmount of file systems? Other
> > Operating systems
> > do support this feature; whenever they forcefully unmount a fs, they bother to
>
> man fuser , and for NFS we support umount -f for those cases where the NFS
> server chokes, explodes or otherwises renders itself non-optimal

Sorry to apear somewhat nit-picking: but that seems not to be the case.
I have a kernel who claims to support this, i have a mount which claims to
support this compiled against said kernel. When i try "umount -f" on
a NFS volume i simply get the message that it is not supported.

Not that I would be surprised if "umount -f" did not work,
but on the other hand, you could be helpful and tell the
mount maintainer about your problems instead of just muttering
on some random list.

If you get "umount: forced umount not supported yet", then
you are using an old umount.
If you get "umount: compiled without support for -f", then
umount was compiled without support for -f. If there was
a new kernel then you might describe precisely what include files
and kernel and libc you are using (at compile time and at invocation time).
If you get something else, then please describe what you get in detail.

Write to aeb@cwi.nl - most mail to the present address is just discarded.

Andries

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.039 / U:0.024 seconds]