    SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

    I am kind of monitoring this list until I get up to speed but could you
    go a little further in depth explaining some of the issues involved with
    the patents on these technologies? Also are the expiration dates on
    these patents known? I would appreciate it alot as I am sure others

    > IPv6 routing Several good algorithms are prohibited.
    > compression Arithmetic encoding (bzip), MPEG, audio, GIF...
    > encryption Idea, RSA, some kinds of key exchange...
    > color management The gimp can't do it. Damn.
    > filesystem updates We can't do delayed ordered writes.
    > OSPF The IETF is not happy with this one!
    > quality-of-service Multi-protocol Label Switching (MPLS) QoS
    > register allocation Ever wonder why VC++ code can beat g++ code?
    > PPP Can't return a useful error code to the other side.
    > drivers/net/zlib.c Must use code with nonlinear time requirements.

    "The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can
    alter his life by altering his attitude"
    - William James

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.020 / U:9.528 seconds]