    Subjectibmtr.o works in 2.1, not in 2.0?
    Sorry if this seems a bit vague, but I'm debugging it over the
    telephone with a customer who is 1,000 miles away.

    Red Hat 5.1. With an IBM token ring card, things work fine under 2.1.131
    but there are other issues there (we have already managed to crash once).
    2.1.131 is compiled as SMP. This is a dual-processor PII-450 with 1gb of
    RAM, Asus P2B-D motherboard, 72gb RAID partition on an ICP-Vortex GDT RAID
    controller. He is using mars_nwe to share the RAID partition on to the
    token ring LAN (meaning it's talking IPX, not IP, when it crashes), and
    copying a large optical jukebox of data onto the Linux server via mars_nwe
    when the kernel gives an "Oops" and crashes. Sorry, I don't have the
    "Oops" message, he did not note it before rebooting the machine and
    besides that's not the real deal.

    The real deal is that I'd like to go back to the 2.0.36 kernel.
    Unfortunately, ifconfig locks up when we do that. The card is detected
    when the module is loaded, with its proper I/O address and interrupt (it
    is using IRQ 9 and the default I/O address), just as it is under the 2.1
    series kernel, but ifconfig locks up.

    The statement I'm using to bring up the interface is:
    ifconfig tr0 146.143.173.15 netmask 255.255.255.128 broadcast
    146.143.173.127

    Works fine with 2.1.131, flunks with default Red Hat 2.0.35-1 kernel and
    with straight 2.0.36 kernel as well as with an SMP 2.0.36 kernel. Doing an
    strace on it. The strace stops at:

    ioctl(3,SIOCSIFADDR,0xbffffc7c)=0
    ioctl(3,SIOCGIFFLAGS,0xbffffc34)=0
    ioctl(3,SIOCSIFFLAGS

    (it quits at the "S").

    Is there a token ring mailing list or web page somewhere, or maybe an
    updated driver? Will the 2.1 driver compile under 2.0? Any ideas?

    --
    Eric Lee Green eric@linux-hw.com http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
    "Linux represents a best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in mission