SubjectRe: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs
Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> > Someone was prepared to donate an old 32-proc Sequent machine (S81: 386/20
> > procs, maybe 256MB RAM, couple SCSI channels and disks) to Alan Cox a
> > while ago (6mo?) but he was unable to find anywhere to put it (7ft x 3ft x
> > 4ft, needs 3-phase, heats your house, etc.) at the time. Perhaps if
> > someone has space in a data center to put it, and it still exists, someone
> > could get it online (after shipping it from France or somesuch) and let
> > people port to it.
> I had a similar sized monster (Convex C1) in my dining room for a year or
> so. I'm sure had I ever gone through the week-long trial of booting the
> thing and attaching it to my network of Linux boxes, I would have been
> disappointed. The mystique of a Cray-compatible vector processing
> supercomputer would have been shattered in comparison with a modest modern
> PC.

does anybody know how to get one of these monsters ? i got a pretty big
space and free electricity. i am not a kernel hacker, but would like it
anyway. i also would be able to put it on my leased line once it is

i live in london/uk by the way.

Christof Damian
Technical Director