    SubjectRe: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs
    Oliver Xymoron wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
    >
    > > Someone was prepared to donate an old 32-proc Sequent machine (S81: 386/20
    > > procs, maybe 256MB RAM, couple SCSI channels and disks) to Alan Cox a
    > > while ago (6mo?) but he was unable to find anywhere to put it (7ft x 3ft x
    > > 4ft, needs 3-phase, heats your house, etc.) at the time. Perhaps if
    > > someone has space in a data center to put it, and it still exists, someone
    > > could get it online (after shipping it from France or somesuch) and let
    > > people port to it.
    >
    > I had a similar sized monster (Convex C1) in my dining room for a year or
    > so. I'm sure had I ever gone through the week-long trial of booting the
    > thing and attaching it to my network of Linux boxes, I would have been
    > disappointed. The mystique of a Cray-compatible vector processing
    > supercomputer would have been shattered in comparison with a modest modern
    > PC.

    does anybody know how to get one of these monsters ? i got a pretty big
    space and free electricity. i am not a kernel hacker, but would like it
    anyway. i also would be able to put it on my leased line once it is
    running.

    i live in london/uk by the way.

    damian
    --