    SubjectRE: SANE and Kernels 2.1.127-130

    > > run), or 2.1.127 which broke SANE. If I do a preview, the scanner locks
    > > up about halfway down the page, and also locks the application. Under
    > > kernel 2.1.129 I actually had a system lock up after attempting to
    > > access the scanner again.
    > FYI, I too have experienced this. My configuration is similar to yours:
    > 2.1.129 (UP)
    > Adaptec 2940UW
    > ID 0 - Iomega ZIP 100
    > ID 1 - UMAX Astra 610S
    > AMD K6-300/128MB RAM, 2 IDE HDs
    > > I have tried this using all the above kernel versions, and with SANE
    > > 0.74 and the recently released SANE 1.0. I don't know what is causing
    > > the problem, and the system logs do not indicate a problem. I suspect
    > > the problem may lie in the SCSI generic code in the kernel, or in the
    > > ever-changing Adaptec aic7xxx driver.

    > I experienced the problem with SANE 1.0. I was previously using SANE
    > (I do not recall the version) under 2.1.126 without problems.

    It would appear that 2.1.127 was the culprit release then.

    > I don't get any log messages whatsoever, and I haven't experienced any
    > system lockups, but the scanner just sits there with its light on and
    > the scan head about halfway down the deck until I power cycle it (resetting
    > the computer does not reset the scanner).

    Exactly the problem I get.

    > Is there a configuration option for the aic7xxx driver that we can turn
    > on to enable debugging information, or any specific tests that we could
    > run to see what's going on?
    > -Jon Burchmore

    Interesting idea. I believe the SCSI code in the kernel can be told to
    report statistics under /proc/scsi, but I don't know about debugging info.

    -Craig Condit

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:7.228 seconds]