SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Yes, I think that according to the GPL, any change that IBM makes in
> > existing code would have to be also GPL. Now if they write their own
> > separate piece, say a module, I think they can use any license they want.
> > OSS does not distribute the source for their commercial sound stuff, do
> > they?
>
> Linus has given permission for third party modules that are not source
> to be distributed providing they use the existing modules apis. I've not
> seen a single binary only module thats actually remotely popular with its
> user base other than the commercial OSS sound modules.

The binary only 3dfx.o module is quite popular with Linux users who own a
3Dfx card. I suspect there are some other devices that are supported only
by binary only modules which are popular among their respective userbase,
regardless of how small that base might be.

Allowing these to be dynamically loaded into the kernel non-GPL'ed is a
good thing IMHO. While free software is good, demanding GPL'ed drivers
from companies who are hesitant to release binary-only drivers is not
helpful to the parts Linux community who want support for that device.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.208 / U:0.748 seconds]