    SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
    On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

    > Naming aside, my point is that open source software is always, well,
    > open -- open to be picked up and carried by new interested parties.
    > Even more, the GPL subset of the open source pool can't spawn private
    > forks; this is even stronger insurance.
    >
    > So I don't worry about corporate interference. Not yet, anyway.

    Yes, I think that according to the GPL, any change that IBM makes in
    existing code would have to be also GPL. Now if they write their own
    separate piece, say a module, I think they can use any license they want.
    OSS does not distribute the source for their commercial sound stuff, do
    they?

    QUESTION: Say IBM wrote their own mmap.c replacement with no GPL code in
    it. Can they distribute a binary kernel image made with that mmap.c
    without distributing the source to that small program? I mean, can that
    particular mmap.c have a non-gpl license? In other words, they distribute
    only the source for the GPL parts of the code?

    George Bonser

    The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.018 / U:31.284 seconds]