SubjectRe: strange strange problem
> Post the error log (and recompile with a make clean, and watch for errors).
> And use your old kernel.
>
> You've clearly got an IRQ or ioport conflict, so take your new NIC out while
> you get back to ground zero.

Okay, the kernel is compiled, as I had mistakenly assumed that since I was
using the same kernel with the same options in the same location that I
would not need to rerun lilo.

On a somewhat related note: what is module net-pf-4 and why would it not be
located? (explained more below)

Please feel free to ignore the rest of this message, I will understand.

As for the IRQ or port conflict, this may or may not be off topic, but I'm
pretty desperate, so if anyone can offer suggestions off the list, I would
be very appreciative. eth0 is at 0xe800 and IRQ9 while eth1 is at 0xe400
and IRQ10. According to /proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts neither of these
are used by anything else. The thing that got my attention in the first
place was that after adding the second nic card, right before DHCP tried to
configure, I get error messages saying modprobe: could not locate module
net-pf-4, which never happened before adding the second card.

So basically, here is what happens. When I unplug the DHCP connection from
eth0, everything boots fine with the exception of the aforementioned
modprobe error and of course not having a DCHP connection.

When I plug the ethernet cable into eth0, bottup is something like:
- when it get's to configuring DHCP, my modem blinks a bit, and it says
DONE, leaving me to believe it successfully set up DHCP.
- after doing this, it hangs for about 60 seconds or more before continuing on
- after going through some more stuff, it then says that DHCP could not
find a /etc/dhcp.conf file and that DHCP failed, which before was a message
I only got when DHCP couldn't make a connection.
- after booting some more normally, it then hangs again for 60-90 seconds
after echoing starting: sendmail.
- finally, it finishes booting, but doesn't have a DHCP connection.

Oddly enough, when I remove the second card, leaving me with an identical
setup to my functional system before, the exact same thing happens. I'm
stuck here, and the only thing I can think of is that I need the net-pf-4
module, but I don't know why it isn't located and why it only started being
unable to locate it after adding the second card.

Chad Cunningham
Guy Who Sold Out And Left Calculus&Mathematica at Ohio-State
http://socrates.mps.ohio-state.edu