SubjectRe: 2.0.37pre3 won't boot

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Matt Kemner wrote:

> However I just compiled and installed 2.0.37pre3 on one of my PRODUCTION
> machines, and am getting the same error - it will uncompress, tell me it's
> booting the kernel, and then I get nothing. This machine is an intel P166
> Classic on a HX board, 96MB RAM, Stallion host adapter with 4x16 tty
> panels.

i am currently debugging a similar problem, and the funny thing is that if
the kernel is compiled on my box, the system boots, if it's compiled on
the failing system, it doesnt ... So just about the only remaining
variable is binutils. What version of binutils do you have, especially the
version of as86 and ld86? the one i have is:

hell:~> ls -l /usr/bin/ld86
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20556 Oct 19 1997 /usr/bin/ld86
hell:~> ls -l /usr/bin/as86
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48020 Oct 19 1997 /usr/bin/as86
hell:~>

(but it could be any other component in binutils) The compiler is the same
btw. in both cases.

i've had such reports earlier too, magical hangs near decompressing the
kernel image, never caught it in 'action', the problem usually went away
for the reporting person a kernel version later.

i'd like to ask you also to give me a pointer to your .config file and
your resulting vmlinux file, if you can put it out somewher, i'd really
like to see wether it's any bug in the 32-bit compiling stage. (i pretty
much doubt it ...). (you obviously dont want to post them on this list ;)

-- mingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.062 / U:0.308 seconds]