SubjectRe: unexplained keyboard crashes
> On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 05:18:25AM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Actually, one of the requirements for the "Designed for W*nd*ws 9x"
> > logo is that the keyboard and mouse ports have current limiters so
> > they can be swapped at runtime.
>
> ... which may just be a SMD soldered fuse and burn away and make it hard to
> repair for somebody not having SMD equipment?
>
> Or do you mean real electronic current limiter?
> Would be something positive about this logo I don't like ...

Real electronic current limiter, like, uhm, a resistor? *grin*

Then again, I wouldn't doubt if MB designers did leave out something so
trivial as a resistor. It's fairly common practice to work off of the
examples in the app notes, so if the keyboard controller had a mistake in the
app note example for the secondary device port (not uncommon), it bit a bunch
of people in the ass. Cut-and-paste design strikes again. :)

(PS: Hmm, wasn't the implementation of the NE2000 based on the app note for a
certain National Semiconductor IC?)

--
Robert Minichino
Chief Engineer