    SubjectRe: 2.1.131: some quality thoughts
    Date
    In article <199812171347.FAA18668@dm.cobaltmicro.com>,
    David S. Miller <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com> wrote:
    > From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
    > Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:03:43 +0000 (GMT)
    >
    > CVS can handle "core" just fine. In fact a cvs that ignores
    > directories not files called core by default is just plain broken.
    >
    > DaveM has been keeping the tree in CVS for a long time without
    > problems, with remote cvs access and all the works
    >
    >Yes but with a ".cvsignore" at the top level which says:
    >
    >!core
    >
    >to workaround this problem.

    Has somebody considered (radical, I know) to just fix CVS once and for
    all, and tell people who have problems to upgrade to a newer version?

    As far as I can tell, everybody agrees that CVS is being stupid in not
    checking at least that "core" is a regular file before ignoring it.

    My opinion is that you shouldn't work around bugs in your tool-chain,
    you should fix them. Either by fixing CVS, or by using something else.

    Linus