    SubjectRe: > Re: Linux threads -- as seen in NT Magazine
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > I tried to find some books covering spin locks and similar things
    > > but didn't get much at the local Barnes N Noble. Someone said
    > > there were papers on it but I'd like something like a Stevens
    > > book that had it covered.
    >
    > From a kernel angle "Unix systems for modern architectures" - Schimmel
    > is at least worth a read. For some user space lock examples the javascript
    > engine and threads from mozilla.org should be useful

    Specifically, see
    http://cvs-mirror.mozilla.org/webtools/lxr/source/js/src/jslock.c#540
    for commentary on how the JS locks work. When we switched to a ``bacon
    bit'' system, the no-contention path through lock-laden code got _much_
    better, since it became a CAS operation rather than a kernel lock.

    I don't know if a similar system would benefit in-kernel stuff, but it
    sure works for us.

    Mike

    --
    39018.61 34343.69