    > From a kernel angle "Unix systems for modern architectures" - Schimmel
    > is at least worth a read. For some user space lock examples the javascript
    > engine and threads from should be useful

    Specifically, see
    for commentary on how the JS locks work. When we switched to a ``bacon
    bit'' system, the no-contention path through lock-laden code got _much_
    better, since it became a CAS operation rather than a kernel lock.

    I don't know if a similar system would benefit in-kernel stuff, but it
    sure works for us.

    39018.61 34343.69

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.031 / U:44.068 seconds]