    SubjectRe: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131
    On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 04:51:15AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > HDTV chipsets want capture to DMA 1600x1200x24bit data to memory targets.
    > > > The existing bttv sick 'vmalloc and look the other way' approach isnt as
    > > > good as locking pages for this (Disk I/O issues aside)
    > >
    > > Umm.. That's what I said. You can lock down pages _easily_ in the page
    > > cache. You just increment their usage count.
    > >
    > > And that has absolutely NOTHING to do with raw device access. What you do
    > > is you make "sendfile()" work for the "copy to page cache" case too.
    > Its only relevant because some of Stephens code also happens to do this. Im
    > quite happy to consider the two items seperately. And we do need DMA to locked
    > user pages (under kernel control!) for devices that generate a lot of data.
    > As Ingo pointed out I can then DMA to an mmap and sendfile the result if
    > I wish. This makes me happy.
    I agree here, I'm currently working with some high speed network devices, which
    will transmit data at the same speed as the PCI bus we're using. Currently, I
    can see no sane way to transmit at the speed of the device. We can:
    a) Not use dma transfer. This is bad, for the device we're using, this gives
    a maximum transfer rate of 7mb/sec, as well as tying up the cpu.
    b) Buffer on send. This causes significant slowdown, something like 30%
    in out current version running at ~30mb/sec and more like 70% slower
    on the final version.
    c) Get your program to allocate special buffers of dma-able memory. This
    gives nice transfer rates, but is not particularly versatile, and means
    that you're tieing up a lot of memory all the time. Also allocating large
    buffers of this type is difficult.
    d) Use some sort of trick such as the rawio patch uses. I havent tested this
    so i don't know how well it works. But it looks like it could give
    reasonable performance and be versatile enough to be useful.

    Now i don't particularly like any of these solutions. A zero-copy method of
    getting data from user-space to a device is necessary (at least for me, and
    probably for various other people, working with high-speed devices).
    Now, i dont think this is a good way to do things, but i can't think of any
    other way to do it. If anyone can enlighten me, i'd be grateful.

    Leighton Haynes (Uni. of Western Australia)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.032 / U:46.408 seconds]