    SubjectRe: autofs vs. Sun automount -- new fs proposal
    On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, David Mansfield wrote:

    > The Solaris automounter allows a "seamless" mount of a local directory
    > onto another place on the local filesystem. This is frequently used, for
    > example, when a user logs in to the actual fileserver. The home directory
    > is usually located at /export/home/joeblow and is automounted to
    > /home/joeblow when referenced. This could, of course, be achieved by
    > actually NFS mounting from the local server. I'd rather shoot myself
    > however (am I sure Solaris doesn't do this? no)

    Loopback filesystem. (not the loopback device.)

    > So the question is, how difficult would it be to make a fs implementation
    > that redirected requests for its top level directory to another fs'es
    > directory, and did all the necessary house keeping. Would it be possible
    > to just deal with the top level directory, or would all fs requests pass
    > through a layer of interpretation?

    Someone did. It never went anywhere, but I still have a copy of the patch
    around, never updated beyond 2.0 kernels. A shame, because this is a
    piece of sorely-missed functionality.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.018 / U:1.816 seconds]