    SubjectRe: autofs vs. Sun automount -- new fs proposal
    Ahem.  lsof is a program that returns a list of all open files.  Hence the
    name, ls (LiSt) of (of Open Files).

    On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Martin Tessun wrote:

    > > The Solaris automounter allows a "seamless" mount of a local directory
    > > onto another place on the local filesystem. This is frequently used, for
    > > example, when a user logs in to the actual fileserver. The home directory
    > > is usually located at /export/home/joeblow and is automounted to
    > > /home/joeblow when referenced. This could, of course, be achieved by
    > > actually NFS mounting from the local server. I'd rather shoot myself
    > > however (am I sure Solaris doesn't do this? no)
    >
    > Solaris does achieve 'NFS-mounts from the local Server' via a special
    > "Filesystem", the so called "Loopback Filesystem (lsof)". If you give me
    > a few days I can look what the lsof does. I expect, that it does
    > something like a "redirect" or a "special hard-link" without increasing
    > the Link-Counter.
    >
    > So what I think you have to do is to write a new filesystem with a new
    > mount-command (mount.lsof), so that you can do a mount -F lsof
    > localhost:/export/home/bla /home/bla.
    >
    > In my opinion this isn't too easy to handle. By the way: I would never
    > let inexperienced people work on the Fileserver; even I wouldn't let any
    > person except Administrators work on the fileserver.
    >
    > > autofs can do this. However, it does so trivially by creating a
    > > symbolic link which is then traversed. This has mostly cosmetic
    > > disadvantages, but a few more substatial ones. Any subprocess will see
    > > the actual 'pwd' of /export/home/joeblow. Thus inexperienced users will
    > > get confused and bother their system administrator, and, more seriously,
    > > an application may wrongly determine the location of its private files,
    > > defeating the 'logical structure' of the filesystem, and preventing
    > > restructuring of the physical layout.
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > -

    ----
    Jason A. Pfeil pfeil@cs.fsu.edu
    Information Systems Developer jpfeil@lsi.fsu.edu
    CASDL (850)644-8014; fax: (850)644-4952
    Learning Systems Institute University Center C-3527
    http://idl.fsu.edu Tallahassee, FL 32306-2540

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.024 / U:1.896 seconds]