SubjectRe: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131

David> From: Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> Date: 14 Dec 1998
David> 11:10:14 +0100

> SGI managed to get zero copy right for write() on a socket
> and it works great, I'd love having Linux do the same.

David> Here is where I disagree with you, sendfile() is the right
David> answer to pushing data to the wire, SGI's solution is not right
David> and adds complexity to the kernel where it doesn't need to
David> exist.

Provided that data is read directly from disk and put on the wire,
yes. For the case where you have data coming from other sources than
disk, this is not the solution. We have people using lotsa Linux
machines to take data from the detectors on the accelerator here,
using home made data aquisition cards, and spit it out on the wire
using TCP. Zero Copy on write() would be a big win here with the data
rates we are talking (some are talking 50-100MB/sec or more per source
if I remember correctly).

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.064 / U:0.732 seconds]