SubjectRe: RS/6000 (was Re:Linux/98?!?)
Aaron Wrasman <awrasman@enchanted.net> writes:

> Some of the current RS/6000s are PPC with MCA. For example the SMP high nodes
> in the SP2 are 604 and 604Es. They are switching the RS/6000 line over to PCI
> in most cases. The top of the line S70 and S7A servers are using a custom chip
> that is based off of the PPC. IBM is trying to merge the hardware of their
> AS/400 line with the RS/6000 line with this monster. We'll be getting one of
> these in the next couple months at work. So I'll know more about them.
>
> Most of the PPC servers do use PCI though.

Right, the Silver nodes are all PCI based. All other nodes currently
in existance, ie high, wide, and thin, use PPC chips AFAIK. On the
other hand, when I worked on the SP Support Line, we only worried
about the processors in the high nodes, so I could be wrong about the
wide and thin.

Shalon Wood

--
If breastfeeding a pig is sickening to you, what the hell are you
doing on usenet? -- Aimee, on rec.music.tori-amos