SubjectRe: Unswappable memory needed is user space
On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> BTW, you should be psychologically prepared to resist torture and
> worse. There may be ways to make you talk.

Any human being can be broken. Some just take longer than others. Beating
the password out of you is called 'rubber hose cryptography'. This was
discussed on sci.crypt about a year ago.

There was some work on coming up with a 'deniable' filesystem. You'd have
an encrypted filesystem with, say, three levels. Give one key, you have
uninicriminating information. Give another, you get mildly incriminating
information that hopefully persuades your torturers to relent. Give
another key and you get the real good.

One post I saw was on 06 December 1997...

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

"Is knowledge knowable? If not, how do we know this?" -- Woody Allen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.043 / U:0.116 seconds]