SubjectRe: Linux threads -- as seen in NT Magazine
Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> >However, I don't think that dealing only with tasks is very elegant. I
> >think it is a hangover from the pre-clone(2) days. It works well right
> >now because there are very few (any ?) multithreaded applications that
> >want to use MP hardware creatively. So, I think there is a very
> >elegant mechanism (clone(2)) that can be very elegantly used because
> ^^^^^^^
> >of schedule().
>
> Duh. Make that:
>
> So, I think there is a very elegant mechanism (clone(2)) that *CANNOT*
> be very elegantly used because of schedule().
>
> --p
>
> -

Apparently everyone else on the face of the earth disagrees with me, but
I think that it would really be nice if threads could send asynchronous
events to each others (signals or similar). 'twould also be pleasant if
the kernel (and ps,....) had the idea of a process with multiple threads
(same PID, multiple TIDs, where TID identifies a thread within a
process, (pid,tid) uniquely identifying a thread on the machine). If it
does, send me your hate mail. This would, as others mentioned, allow
the kernel to know it is supposed to spread certain threads around.
***I think it would be _very_ good to make sure that threaded-pipeline
programs are run in a reasonable way (for example, it would probably not
be good if pipeline went 1-2-3, but 1 and 3 ended up on the same
processor).***

[OT] I also don't like the way that PVM deals with tasks, assuming that
each is a separate program (if I am not mistaken).
--
David Feuer
feuer@his.com